Saturday, March 21, 2015

My March Madness

My new BFF
I swear it is completely coincidental that I am home recuperating during the biggest basketball event of the year, March Madness, and I am oh so happy for it! Eating and drinking while sitting on the couch watching all the action (and brackets fall apart) is what everyone seems to be doing right now, so I fit right in. And what I realized today is that a total knee replacement isn’t your run of the mill knee surgery. I know. I'm a little slow. Or delusional. Or the drugs were just that good.

After 4 prior surgeries, I was planning on a few days of “terrible” followed by a quick progressive recovery. Um, yeah. Not so much. Each day does get a little better, but only just a little. Like 5% better. I’m bending my knee to 95 (vs 86) degrees, walking with a cane for short distances, and I can stand for about 10 minutes without significant swelling and pain. I look and feel about the same as 3 days ago. Well, maybe 5% better, if I put on some mascara. This reality is my nightmare. I. AM. BORED! I am just used to being on the go, go, go. There is a reason my favorite barista calls me Zoom Zoom!

Today was Day 2 of therapy and I made myself prone hang because most my patients dread it. The photo on the right is after about 3 minutes of “hanging” and you can see how much lower my foot is. There is some method to our madness. And yes, it hurt like H-E-double-hockey-sticks. I also started the recumbent bike and I was able to complete a revolution with some serious hip hiking (a.k.a., cheating). I am no super star. I am having a boring, uncomplicated, recovery that I am trying hard to embrace. That being said, I may want to reconsider that 5K I planned on doing next month. Sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment