Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A New Beginning

"Every ending has a new beginning.”
This is how I feel as I say goodbye to a knee that served me well for 50 years. After my ACL surgery in 1981, she has seen me through 7 marathons, a least a hundred half-marathons, countless 5Ks, and 3 half-Ironman races. She's logged a lot of miles, but all good things (or shall we say worn out things) must come to an end. Today, I am now sporting a brand new Wright EVOLUTION Medial-Pivot knee system.

For my first new knee blog post, I would like to recount how I spent the last 24 hours saying goodbye to my old knee. Our day began together with a 25-mile bike ride on hilly terrain – a nice reminder of how weak you are. We rewarded our hilly efforts by enjoying a bloody mary and brunch with dear friends. Afterward, we headed home to walk the dogs one final time and of course stand and iron clothes for 2 hours (because this is when you really like to swell). After a luxurious Hibicleans scrub and a peanut butter dark chocolate truffle, we hit the sack one last time together. As always you allowed me a great night of sleep.
Why must I say goodbye is what many may ask. In all honesty she just isn’t carrying her weight anymore. My left knee is tired of doing all the work, and my body (and mind) is meant for more than short walks and bike rides. I want to run (a little), squat below 90 degrees, and assume Child’s Pose in yoga without pain. Sayonara right knee – see you on the other side (do all knees go to heaven?).

No comments:

Post a Comment