Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Attitude Shift


Here I am. One week post op. Yesterday was my worst day since this whole elective surgery thing began. I resemble all those patients who come to therapy post op week 1 or 2 complaining of increased pain and swelling, less motion, increased weakness, etc. As a PT I would ask, "Well, what have you been doing?” The patient always responds, “Nothing out of the ordinary.”

I can tell you right now -- that’s a lie. Because after about a week we (the patients) are tired of asking for help, tired of sitting on our butts, and tired of feeling gorked out on pain meds. So we stand a little (or a lot) longer, walk a little (or a lot) farther, and try to spread out our pain meds over a little (or a lot) more time. The result is more swelling, more pain, and less motion.

So today is the beginning of a new me. Less exercise, less impatience, more ice and elevation, and more positivity. Things I have learned about physical therapy from the patient side:
  1. I like cold hands, 
  2. I would rather bend my own knee versus having someone else do it, 
  3. EStim feels great regardless of whether it’s helpful, and 
  4. it’s really hard to relax a painful joint even when someone tells you repeatedly that “they’ve got it”.

No comments:

Post a Comment