Monday, July 13, 2015

Employee Spotlight: Amy Shelangoski, PTA

Amy Shelangoski, PTA
1. How and when did you start working with Team EIPT? 
I started working with EIPT in 1998, when the company was formerly 21st Century Rehab, 17 years ago. I became a PTA in 1997, working at my first job as a PTA in Iowa City and dreamed of working with people in my own community. A year later I attended an open house 21st Century Rehab was hosting. I introduced myself to Beth. I informed her if she ever needed an assistant I am in the neighborhood and would be interested. Two or three months later she called, and that is all she wrote!

2. Describe your typical day at Team EIPT. 
My typical day involves treating patients that a physical therapist evaluated at our Durant clinic located within Heinsite Fitness. I also travel to any of the other clinic sites as needed. Our patients are young to no-as-young with various needs involving injury recovery, pain syndromes, post-surgical care, and overall strength and balance improvement. I also lead a group exercise class at our Durant clinic for people who wish to continue an exercise program for cardio and strengthening of upper body, lower body, core, and balance work. This occurs on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings for 1 hour.

3. What is your favorite part of working with Team EIPT? 
I enjoy working locally; treating friends, family, family of friends, and friends of family. If you don't start out fitting into one of these categories as a patient, you usually end up becoming friends and like family.

4. In what ways do you strive to provide a great experience for Team EIPT clients/patients? 
I strive to give individualized attention to my PTs, working together to get the best possible outcome for the condition(s) of our patients. I am always exploring exercises to try with people to challenge them and keep them interested. I also strive to promote long-term exercise habits and be a good role model myself. I love it when a patient we have been working with joins my exercise class after discharge form therapy or continues on their own at the fitness center.

5. How do you spend your time away from Team EIPT? 
My time away from work consists of anything to do with my family and friends. My children, Drake 11, Lainey 9, are involved in several sports and Scouts. I spend a lot of time working out and running. I participate in events from 5Ks to marathons. I have been known to do an occasional mud obstacle event, too. Anything outdoors is of interest. I am involved in my church and currently hold the church council president position.

No comments:

Post a Comment